September 01, 2016 - Almanac "Uzbekistan". This is a unique publication dedicated to the 25th anniversary of independence of Uzbekistan, which includes valuable information on the government structure, economy, regions, healthcare, education etc.
Being a leading think-tank in Uzbekistan, CER has long been assisting the Government of Uzbekistan with policy recommendations on key policy issues, thus contributing to the national capacity building process. Center’s position as bridging element between the Government and the international donor community has secured a continuous dialogue between the parties, as well as provided CER with a strong asset. CER’s objective to establish consensus at all levels in terms of policy reform involving government, international organizations, private sector and other stakeholders ensures the effectiveness of policies and supports the reform process.
CER’s following efforts and capabilities contribute to its effective cooperation with the Government:
- Supplying government agencies with demand-driven recommendations that enable the policy makers to trigger the development process and pursue national development targets more effectively;
- Center’s facilitation of a platform for a dialogue between the policy makers, international organizations, and business community, which enables the government to obtain a fair assessment of the situation in these sectors respectively;
- Engagement of government officials as experts in its research projects, as well as other knowledge sharing activities including roundtable discussions, seminars, and trainings, demonstrates the transparency of the processes, and serves as an evidence of the participatory nature of the CER’s activities;
- Center’s aspiration to advance and strengthen policy making process in the country is complemented with capacity building initiatives offered to policy makers, which involves various knowledge management tools and training opportunities.
CER is striving to further enhance its cooperation with the Government of Uzbekistan and supply a stream of timely and demand-driven research products and services.
Mid-term and Long-term Perspectives of Transport and Transit in Uzbekistan in the Context of Economic Transformation: Problems and Solutions
Efficient transport sector is the paramount component of the economic development. The key strategic task of the transport policy shall become the forming of the transport system of Uzbekistan to the effect that it would be possible to ensure the relative decrease of the costs for transportation services, increase of operational efficiency, reliability and availability of transportation services for the economic entities, diversity of transport routes and become the connecting link in transcontinental and regional logistics schemes.
Uzbekistan 2030: Institutional Preconditions for Development of Competitive Environment as a Key Factor for More Efficient Economy and Accelerated Structural Reforms
Uzbekistan is in a group of countries with the per capita income (GNP/GNI) of $1,046-4,125 (low-middle income). The objective by 2030 is to reach the development level comparable to countries with the per capita income of $4,126-12,745 (upper-middle income). This is possible only given the dramatic competitive growth equivalent to an economic breakthrough; indeed, "catching up with" this group will require meeting the challenges of both catching-up development and outstripping development at the same time.
An economic breakthrough implies changing the current economic growth model, focusing on development of fuel and energy, chemical, metallurgical and other basic sectors of economy, into a growth model based on accelerated development of processing industries. This can be ensured only in competitive settings which promote efficient scale of production across enterprises (maximum output with minimum resources) and better product quality.
From Evaluation Reports
The CER activities and outputs contributed drastically to a change in the mind-set and brought about a series of new concepts, information and knowledge that were indispensable for a successful transition from the command to the market economy. They complemented and supplemented the advocacy role of UNDP and other donor institutions.
CER over the years of its operation has become an institution that provides recommendations which are regularly used by key government ministries and agencies within the economic policy decision-making process. The Center represents a bright example of an institution of a new type, capable of initiating dialogue and developing mechanisms for reaching nationwide consensus on development issues.
The clients are fully satisfied with the Center's output and are pleased with the task team approach in preparing policy option papers. The Center's outputs were found to be quite useful and have had some immediate impact on economic policies.
- Project Evaluation Report154 Kb
- Recommendations to practical implementation of development strategy for CER53 Kb
- Report of the CER's strategy formulation mission251 Kb
- Recommendations towards sustainable development of the CER (December 2008)222 Kb